Installation of a fireplace mantel shelf or fireplace surround may seem like a daunting task that's best left to the professionals, but it doesn't have to be. With the right tools, some planning and a little patience, you can install one yourself.
How to Install a Fireplace Mantel on Your Own
If you are comfortable with your woodworking skills, you might want to consider building and installing your own fireplace mantel or shelf. The end result will likely be a more personalized and unique fireplace mantel that better suits your home.
Here's a basic step-by-step process you can follow to build and install your own fireplace mantel.
- To break up the surface between the fireplace surround and the mantel, mount joint molding a couple of inches above the fluted molding.
- Cut and nail a 1 x 6-inch board to the backing boards to serve as the shelf of the fireplace mantel.
- The shelf should be leveled using wedge-shaped blocks.
- Attach crown molding to the bottom of shelf, the wedge-shaped blocks, and backing board.
- Finally, after filling nail holes and sanding, you can apply paint or stain to your fireplace mantel.